The Monkland Tennis Club is part of the fabric of Canadian tennis history.
A clubhouse and 13 courts were built
The land that the Monkland Tennis Club sits on became the property of the Protestant Board of School Commissioners which sold the land to The Westmount Athletic Association.
The Protestant School Board reacquired the land
In 1936, the clubhouse, courts and fields were purchased by the then Protestant Board of School Commissioners. (In fact, it was re-acquiring them: it had originally sold the land to the WAAA.)
In 1937, the Montreal Amateur Athletic Association (MAAA) decided to operate a tennis section using the Royal Avenue facilities. It rented these facilities from the school board.
The beginning of Monkland Tennis Club
A group of tennis players led by George Payne formed the Monkland Tennis Club and Courts Limited – the ownership body.
The Club had 78 Senior Playing men and 45 Senior Playing women. Plus a variety of other members. Annual membership dues were $22 and the total Assets of the Club at year-end were $795.19. Needless to say we have come up a bit in the world.
From 13 to 9 courts
Wondering why the Monkland Tennis Club now only has 9 courts and not the original 13? Some land – where the Jean Coutu now sits – was sold in the 1940s to Steinberg’s Wholesale Groceterias Limited for, what else, a grocery store.
George Payne becomes first President of Courts Limited
A group of tennis players led by George Payne incorporated Courts Limited and bought the courts and clubhouse that year. The Club has seen many great characters and builders over the years including the likes of Jack Milroy, Peter Bronfman and Dick Evans.
There have been a total of 30 Chairs of
the Board since then. Courts Limited remain owners of the property to this day and have shareholders (all MTC members) who act as trustees to ensure the long-term future of the Club.
The Club hosted the 1962 Quebec Open
MTC Hosts the Canadian Open
Club members got to see the likes of Roy Emerson, John Newcombe, Cliff Drysdale and Tony Roche play.